No matter who you are or what you’re going through, it can be difficult to maintain focus and motivation. We all fall into slumps; we all get frustrated and wonder whether or not we should even go on. “What’s the point,” we might say to ourselves as we throw up our arms with exasperation.
Fortunately, the show truly does go on – no matter it is that we’re experiencing now, it is only temporary. The sun will shine again. Sometimes all we need is a little boost – something like an inspirational quote to remind us why we stay sober, and that better days are yet to come.
Inspirational Quotes on Recovery from Substance Abuse
Here are some impactful, poignant quotes about recovery from alcoholism that might just brighten your day. Feel free to keep them for your personal arsenal or share them with a friend!
- One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery. — Demi Lovato
Demi Lovato has been extremely open and honest about her struggles with sobriety, having overdosed after a 7-year period of recovery. Now she is back on the wagon, and just as strong as ever.
- My identity shifted when I got into recovery. That’s who I am now, and it actually gives me greater pleasure to have that identity than to be a musician or anything else, because it keeps me a manageable size. When I’m down on the ground with my disease – which, I’m happy to have – it gets me in tune. It gives me a spiritual anchor. — Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton battled with alcoholism and drug addiction for many years. He has been sober for quite some time, and shares his experience, strength and hope with other sober individuals through successful drug rehab and a powerful documentary, which was released in Feb. 2018.
- The goal isn’t to be sober. The goal is to love yourself so much you don’t need to drink. — Unknown
- I found myself drinking two bottles of wine on the couch, and I said, ‘Jada, I think we’ve got a problem here.’ From that day on, I went cold turkey. — Jada Pinkett Smith
Jada’s confession helps to remind us that there isn’t necessarily a perfect time to stop drinking – if we want to, we will. She has remained sober since quitting cold-turkey.
- Being in recovery has given me everything of value that I have in my life. Integrity, honesty, fearlessness, faith, a relationship with God, and, most of all gratitude. It’s given me a beautiful family and an amazing career. I’m under no illusions where I would be without the gift of alcoholism and the chance to recover from it. — Rob Lowe
Lowe attributes his current happiness and fulfillment to his disease – an inspirational outlook, no question.
- Sometimes, you’ve just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you. — Dr. Phil
- The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics are wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope. — Russel Brand
After struggling with his own addiction – and overcoming it – Russell Brand has been a huge advocate of addiction recovery. He continues to share his experiences openly, inspiring others who have been through something similar.
Addiction Does Not Discriminate
No matter who you are, what age you are, or what your current situation is, you are just as susceptible to the disease of alcoholism as anyone else – celebrities, pro athletes, school teachers, or politicians. Addiction doesn’t discriminate. If you or someone you love has been struggling with active alcoholism or drug addiction, help is available – we at Garden State Treatment Center understand how necessary support is to sobriety, and we are here to help at any point in time. For more information on addiction recovery and treatment, please call us today.